Sunday, March 24, 2013

Where is the Baby Going to Fit?



We live in a 768-square-foot apartment in Cambridge. And, truth be told, we like it an awful lot. It’s located in between Harvard Square and Porter Square, and, for all intents and purposes, is surrounded by everything we need. We have lots of culture, great neighbors, and convenience around every corner. You want restaurants? A stone's throw away. Grocery shopping? Just down the street. Boston? Hop on the subway and I’ll see you in 10 minutes.

Despite everything our apartment has, it’s missing one important thing: space.

Now, babies, I hear, are small, which is good. But babies, I hear, need a ton of stuff, which is bad.

Why is this hitting me all of a sudden? We're just coming back from a trip to New Hampshire where we visited our friends, Dan and Steph, and their four-month-old bundle of joy, Landon. They live in 4,000-square-foot pad with guest rooms that are the size of our apartment. Their back deck may be bigger than our street. (I exaggerate, of course, but you see where I'm going with this.)

Now, we’re not materialistic people by any stretch of the imagination, but for the past couple years, we've been able to buy ourselves nice clothes and nice things. The trouble is we’re already out of room. Both our bureaus are bursting at the seams (literally, thanks to Ikea) and our closets are stuffed like a big ol' Thanksgiving turkey. Our spare bedroom? Think more Shawshank Redemption and less Downton Abbey. 

So where will baby Briddon's stuff go?

Last weekend, we went stroller shopping, which was actually pretty fun. Then we got to the part about having to fold it up and actually keep it in our apartment.

"And this just folds neatly like that," said the incredibly helpful saleswoman at Magic Beans.

"Right," I thought, "and then how do you fold that up because that thing will dominate our linen closet."

So what's the answer? Do we have to throw away a bunch of our things? Do we have to rearrange our apartment to make way for baby? Do we have to move? We’ve decided the answer to question No. 3, for now, is no. We like the city and we plan to stay here for at least one kid and maybe two -- assuming there is a two.

But I can’t imagine what life will be like a year from now. I look around the apartment and see adult things. We have candles and DVD players and speakers and picture frames and iPads. Will those be replaced by bottles and toys and dirty diapers and onesies? The answer, I’m realizing, is yes.

This, of course, will be a huge adjustment. The more I think about it, though, the less worried I get. Stuff is overrated anyway. Just please don't make fun of me if I wear the same outfit every day after August. The rest of my clothes will be in storage.

4 comments:

  1. You guys can totally use the front closet in the hallway with us. It's not a big deal if a stroller is outside the closet door, b/c the entryway is locked to the outside (we do it quite often). Besides, you don't wanna be lugging that thing up and down the stairs every time you wanna go out.

    Tom and EJ use the back stairwell, but it's quite possible that they might need it much this year since Desmond is growing up. So I'm sure we'll have space.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's awesome. Thanks. Like I said above ... great neighbors.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's gonna be fun to watch you two become acquainted with baby things and baby messes :) Can't Wait!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I assumed the "great neighbors" comment was exclusively targeted at me. Devastated. You'll have plenty of space. 9 ft ceilings make a huge difference. Marc told me a few years ago "I have friends who live in 4,000 sq ft houses and they don't know what to do with all of the room. There is something to be said when you can utilize every inch of your space and still be comfortable." Well said Marc, well said.

    ReplyDelete