Saturday, February 22, 2014

Does My Daughter Look Like Me?

My oldest friend and the best man at my wedding, Andrew, has always had a way with words. Even when we were in middle school and high school, he'd drop witty one-liners that have managed to stay with me for years. Stuff like, "The beaten path is beaten for a reason" and "The road to hell is paved with good intentions." It's not so much that they were original lines; it was really his timing, his ability to choose the perfect phrase at the right moment.  

So when I asked him over the holidays if he thought Annabelle looked like me, I was anticipating another memorable line. He didn't disappoint.

"Well," he said, "I can tell she isn't the milkman's."

Classic. In other words, not really, but I know you want me to say "yes." 

Andrew isn't the only one to hedge when the topic of resemblance arises. Most people, with good reason, say Belle looks a lot like Bridget. Grandparents, extended family, colleagues, friends, Facebook friends. Most everyone can't believe how much Belle resembles her mom. (This is a good thing, I always say, because girls are much prettier than boys.) But I'll be honest: I want my child to look like me. And no, it's not because I'm vain. Or because I think I'd be particularly attractive as a female. I want Annabelle to look like me because she's my daughter. (Not, as my dear old friend pointed out, the milkman's.) 

So, does she? Does Annabelle look like me? I figure the best way to find out is to compare photos of us at about six months old. Here goes:



Let's break it down a bit further by examining the physical features:

Hair: Belle's is fiery red and I had a mop of brown. Verdict: No.

Skin tone: Belle is like porcelain (thanks to Bridget) and will be year-round. I'm pasty in the winter and somewhat tan in the summer. Did you know I'm actually 1/16th or 1/32nd (I forget which) Native American? No? Did you care? Also no? Cool, let's move on. Verdict: No.

Face shape: Belle's appears to be round; mine appears to be narrow. Verdict: No. Again.

Eyes: Belle, so far, has blue eyes. Mine are brown. My eyes also seem fairly close together (which I'm noticing just now and hope people haven't been talking about for years) and Annabelle's seem perfectly symmetrical. Our eyes do have the same shape, though. Verdict: A little.

Nose: Belle has a cute little button for a nose. My nose is long and, well, long. Verdict: No. (This isn't going well.)

Mouth: Hmm, a little bit? Belle seems to lack a strong upper lip, just like me. Lucky girl! Verdict: A little.

Smile: I think so. We both seem pretty damn happy in the picture on the right. Verdict: A lot.

Eyebrows: Uh oh. Yep, these are pretty much the same. Breaking news: My eyebrows are big and thick. Hopefully, this particular likeness will fade over time or Belle will spend a lot of money on wax and thread. Verdict: A lot.

In summation, I guess we do look a bit alike -- at least in some ways. This makes me feel better. Well, except for that brutal blue sweater. I look like a fluffy cloud. Seriously, Ma, what were you thinking?



1 comment:

  1. I do see glimmers of you when I look at Annabelle - a lot, so there! But on the whole, a Bridget clone... sorry Mike! Better luck next time?

    ReplyDelete