Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Oscar the Incorrigible

This past weekend, our furry friend Oscar turned 6. We celebrated with kindling in Harvard Yard (our favorite) and lots of treats (Oscar's favorite). 

We are definitely one of those childless couples who dote on our dog. Oscar is our fur baby, and I'm not going to lie, we are crazy about him. We probably spend 75% of our time talking to him, or about him, or wondering what he's up to. 

The funny thing is, despite his current status as dog lover, when Oscar and I first met Mike he didn't even like dogs. And he especially didn't know what to make of Oscar. Oscar tried to play nice and bring his rope toy to Mike for him to throw, but Mike didn't really appreciate the slobbery, stinky piece of rope being repeatedly dropped on his lap. And when Oscar wanted to play tug, Mike got a little nervous (there may have been a slight nip based entirely on a misunderstanding about who was tugging first). He wasn't sure how to talk to Oscar, how to give him commands that he would actually understand. Like on one of our first trips to Fresh Pond, Mike couldn't understand why Oscar wasn't following his instructions to,"Stay Right!", or "Go Left! Left!" And picking up dog poop? Well, let's just say that was way beyond his comfort zone. 

Luckily, Oscar has a way of growing on people. Maybe its the way he tilts his head when he's trying real hard to understand what you're saying. Or it could be the way his little stump of a tail wags furiously when he's happy. Or maybe it's just that he's sweet, and he's cuddly, and he makes you feel loved. 

Whatever the reason, when I left for a trip to Australia, Mike and Oscar truly bonded. And seeing that bond, well, it made me happier than I ever expected. Because when I started dating Mike, it was the first time in my life that I was consciously looking for a partner, a husband, and a father to my future children. He had proved himself to be an amazing boyfriend, but seeing him take care of Oscar made me realize what an incredible father he would be one day. He was responsible. He was loving. He was sensitive to all of Oscar's needs. And most telling of all, he was incredibly patient with him. 


You see, what I failed to mention is that Oscar, while sweet and amazing and wonderful, is also a bit of a head case. With us, in the apartment, he is quiet as a mouse. But take him on a walk and run into another dog, and, well, he loses it. Oscar is scared of dogs and so he completely flips out when he sees them. He has the bark of dog 5 times his size. Think Cujo. I expected Mike to become frustrated and angry with our ill-behaved pup. But instead, he had infinite patience. 

I was already in love. But it was Oscar who made me realize Mike was "the one".

1 comment: