Saturday, August 3, 2013

A Review of Five 'Dad' Books


I read a lot. I read even more than that when I'm trying to learn something new. Learning to be a dad, then, meant it was time to get elbow deep in some literature about fatherhood.

As you might imagine, there are some clunkers and all-stars out there.

In total, I've read five 'Dad' books in the past couple months (I just started number six) and I thought it was worth a few minutes to share what I've learned (or haven't learned) from them. It might save some of you dudes out there some time when you start preparing for your little one. Here's my list -- complete with a letter grade for comparison:

The Happiest Baby on the Block: This, according to many new moms and dads, is the bible of baby. In a nutshell, you learn about the 5 S's (swaddling, side/stomach position, shushing, swinging, sucking) that can soothe your baby. Because we're still a few weeks away from our due date, I'm not sure how useful this stuff is yet. But, from what I understand, this will be the greatest book I've ever read. (That's obviously an exaggeration, but if it will help quiet a screaming child, I imagine I'll singing its praises to anyone who will listen.) The book isn't winning any awards for writing, but it was presented in an accessible, how-to format. Grade: B with potential for an A+

Be Prepared: A Practical Handbook for New Dads: A friend of mine passed this on to me with some names of other Dads already scrawled inside. Nice, right? It makes you feel like you're part of this welcoming community. Thanks again, Jameson, for the wonderful gesture. (Is it getting dusty in here?) The good vibes continued when I opened the creative cover you see above. This book was simple, straightforward, sometimes funny, and chock full of creative ideas to get baby to eat, sleep, and explore the world. I plan on keeping it close by in the next 12 months. Then, of course, I'll pass it on to someone else. (Where is that damn dust coming from?!) Grade: A-

The New Father: A Dad's Guide to the First YearAfter reading hours of Amazon reviews, this seemed to be the best Dad book on the market. My view, in five words: Helpful, but a little weird. This is your typical month-by-month guide filled with nuggets of wisdom and tips. I really enjoyed the section about the first three months (that's where my head is now) and I can see myself grabbing this again when I'm lost in month four. However, the section on placentas had me scratching my head for weeks: "Whatever you and your partner decide to do, it's probably best to keep [what you do with the placenta] a secret -- at least from the hospital staff. Some states try to regulate what you can do with a placenta and may even prohibit you from taking it home ..." Wait, what? People take it home? Maybe I'm showing my naivety here, but, again, what? Grade: B+

Dude, You're a Dad: How to Get [All of You] Through Your Baby's First Year: This arrived in my in-box the day of Bridget's baby shower, thanks to my incredibly thoughtful sister. It was such a wonderful surprise. The book, on the other hand, was a bit cheesy. The author actually used the line, "Denial isn't just a river in Africa." Come on. I did, however, learn that babies are born without kneecaps. How weird is that? Grade: C- (but the gesture from sister was an A+)

Lean In: Women, Work, and the Will to Lead: Obviously, this isn't a traditional baby book. Far from it. But it should be required reading for any Dad who is having (or has had) a daughter. Written by Facebook COO Sheryl Sandberg, this was a practical and often eye-opening read about women in the workplace. I didn't agree with all the advice (I think it's important to disengage from work), but Sandberg's success is clear and impressive. Her imagery of using a jungle gym instead of a career ladder is brilliant thinking. Surprisingly, this book may have been the best in terms of mental preparation. Grade: A

There are dozens more out there, but this list provided a pretty good starting place for me. Dads (or Moms), are there others you've read that have been influential in your parenting?


No comments:

Post a Comment