Sunday, June 10, 2012

Advil and The Jagged Corners of Freeze Pop Wrappers

I'm reading back through our first week of blog posts (thanks to you for reading and commenting!) and I'm realizing a theme is developing. Bridget and I have a lot of fun, don't take ourselves too seriously, and enjoy disagreeing on various things. These things are all true. They are not, however, the full story.

We're also very much in love. ("Awww!" or "Vomit!" -- it's really up to you.)

But how did it happen? When did like turn into love? Have you thought about this question in your own life? When is the exact moment you fell in love with your husband, wife, boyfriend, girlfriend, or fiancé? For us, that's easy: Advil and the jagged corners of freeze pop wrappers.

First, the Advil or, in other words, why Mike fell in love with Bridget. For our first weekend getaway, Bridget and I went to gorgeous Boothbay Harbor, Maine. (Seriously, it's really nice.) We arrived in the seaside town, and prepared to eat lobster, drink a lot of wine, and take awkward pictures of ourselves (see example below).

As we made our way through the first bottle of vino before heading to dinner on that first night, I rummaged through my stuff to find my Advil. (I really hate hangovers.) To my dismay, I'd forgotten it at home. "Shoot. I forgot my Advil," I said. On cue, Bridget says, "Oh, I brought some. I knew you'd want it." Boom. In love. Right there.

Second, the jagged corners of freeze pop wrappers or, in other words, why Bridget fell in love with Mike. Bridget loves frozen treats. A lot. Like, so much. You might think you understand, but you really don't. She eats popsicles as if she's sitting on the sun and can identify ice cream flavors by touching them. So, of course, she loves freeze pops. (Who doesn't? Am I right?)

Early on in our dating lives at my old apartment in Salem, I offered Bridget a freeze pop. She obviously accepted. As I brought her a red one (her favorite flavor), I bit off the top of the wrapper. Then, before handing it to her, I bit off two pieces from either side so there was no chance she could cut her mouth on the plastic. She smiled from ear to ear. Boom. In love. Right there.

And two years later, we can both look back and immediately pinpoint those two moments that changed our lives forever. And for the record, I still bite the wrappers and she still brings the Advil. It really is the little things, isn't it?

So, what about you? Have you thought about it? What's the moment that turned like into love?


2 comments:

  1. on our first date, I bought George a beer... I think that did it for him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow Mike!
    What 2 great stories! :)

    ReplyDelete