Friday, June 15, 2012

Five Reasons Why Being Married Is Different

I was golfing the other day with my good friend, Walter, and he asked me if it felt different. "What? Being married?"

"Yeah," he said. "Or is it just basically the same thing?"

I thought about it for a while. Then I missed my putt by a good four feet. Then I answered: "Dude, it is completely different."

I honestly wasn't sure if it would be. There are obviously two schools of thought here. Some people say it's the exact same thing -- you go back to eating the same meals, going out with the same people, and emptying the same dishwasher. Others, on the other hand, think it's a whole new world. After 2.5 months of matrimony, I've decided that I attend the latter school. And here are five reasons why:

1. The ring. I don't wear rings. I mean, I did when I was 15 and trying to look cool, but those days are long gone. The positive here is that I have something to play with when I get bored. Spinning, tapping, tossing -- it's like a new toy. The negative? Having a ring gives me another thing to remember. It used to be phone, wallet, keys, watch. Now it's phone, wallet, keys, watch, ring. This may seem small, but my responsibility just increased by 20%. Don't tell Bridget, but I've found my ring at the bottom of my gym bag more than once.

2. You feel older. You just do. When you hear about "getting married" when you're young, you think those people are old. They are. And now I am. (I actually like being old, so I'm fine with this.)

3. You have a deeper connection. It's not just about the institution of marriage. To me, it's about the experience of sharing your vows and your intentions in front of close friends and family. Think about it: How often do you cry in front of 50, 100, or 200 people? (Watching Rudy sack the Georgia Teach quarterback in a movie theater is obviously the exception here.) A public display of affection and love instantly makes you closer to your partner.

4. The money thing. Bridget covered this on our blog last week. I may retort with my own account (get it?) at some point. Suffice it to say that figuring out a joint account, going on the same health insurance/car insurance, and taxes are significant changes.

5. You're generally happier. Whenever you have a bad day or get in an argument or the dog poops on the floor, it's just not as bad. You always have support, which gives you more confidence and more joy. It's good stuff.

And those are just five reasons. I believe there are hundreds. Feel free to chime in, if you have any of your own.

No comments:

Post a Comment