Tuesday, June 5, 2012

I ... Smell ... Something

It hit me as soon as I walked through the door. My nose was immediately on center stage. My nostrils flared, my neck craned, and I took a deep breath. It was a smell I knew and it was a smell I knew well. But what was it? I couldn't place it. It wasn't necessarily a bad smell or a good smell. But it was unique. It was a heavy and thick, too.

"Hun?" No reply.

Inhale, exhale. Inhale, exhale. Where had I smelled this before? It wasn't too long ago and it was something that seemed very familiar. The kitchen! It must be the kitchen. But the stove was off. And the trash had a fresh bag. Nothing.

The smell grew a bit stronger. And now it was accompanied by a clicking sound. I moved to the bedroom. Hamper? No. Gym bag? Not pleasant, but no. What in the world ...? Then, I saw it out of the corner of my eye:




"You're kidding, right? There's no way the heat is on. Right?"

"But it's cold outside," said sweet, delicate Bridget, looking up from her blanket and her magazine.

"Again, you're joking, aren't you? It's June 5 for the love of God. No reasonable person would ..."

"It's my house, too," she yelled, now starting to chuckle.

Thankfully, mercifully, I won this round. I turned off the heat and it will stay off until October. Maybe November. But as I was turning the dial back to "sanity," I thought for a moment about the issue. And, really, seriously, is there anything more divisive for men and women? Men are hot. Women are cold. All the time. No exceptions.

So I ask you, readers, is there anything else that divides the sexes so consistently? We couldn't come up with anything, but welcome your insight.


3 comments:

  1. It's the opposite in my house; I'm the one who whips open the windows and shuts the heat off; Barry will crank the heat up past 70 degrees (a big no-no in my book) while wearing a hat and a sweatshirt.
    And I can't sleep in a warm room. I love air conditioning. He shuts it off every night that it's on.
    We do have a big, comfy couch. So occasionally, someone wanders out and sleeps on the couch .. either to get warm or to get cooled off.
    You are right, though, I rarely meet any couples who are on the same page about this ...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like to keep the house at 69 degrees. She thinks this is neither warm enough for the winter nor cool enough for the summer. I just can't win.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mike,
    A great challenge I had to take on by doing a little research and came up with this article! "There are few things that divide the sexes quite like..."

    Read more: http://www.askmen.com/money/how_to_300/372_how_to.html#ixzz1xJmjC7prhttp://www.askmen.com/money/how_to_300/372_how_to.html

    Signed,
    Lisa- Wearing a bathrobe and sleeping with the electric blanket in June!
    P.S. Bridget-You Go Girl: Tell him whose house it is!!!

    ReplyDelete